24.7.10

Castle Hopping!

Today was an ambitious day for me...after running some errands this morning, I decided I was going to see some castles! The weather was beautiful here and since days like this don't happen very often, I decided I was going to make the most of it!

First stop was Crathes Castle...a beautiful castle just outside of Aberdeen built in the 16th century. The castle itself is stunning, but once again, it was the castle gardens that took my breath away! It just so happened that there was also a wedding in the garden...and a Scottish wedding means bagpipes! I can't even explain how beautiful a sound it is...
I walked in the gardens at Crathes Castle for hours...the flowers were in full bloom and could be seen in every color of the spectrum! I must have taken a million pictures, but every flower was so unique...so different that what we have back home. The colors, the shapes, the height, and the fragrance...indescribable!

Next stop was Drum Castle. This castle was less impressive than Crathes Castle, but still had something beautiful about it. This castle also had stunning gardens similar to Crathes...they were smaller, but still had so many unique and beautiful flowers.

2 comments:

  1. Did you stop at the shops just up the road from Crathes? They have some really great, artsy things made locally. Check it out the next time you are out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but I will definitely have to check that out! I'm headed to Braemar in a couple of weeks for the Highland Games! :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers